Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas blessings

This Christmas season was one of the best I can remember as an adult.  I would say in my life; but I'm pretty sure it was incredible when I still believed!  It was a longer season and we were able to spend so much time together as a family. 


We were able to make sugar cookies - even with cut outs and iced!, make ornaments, see Christmas lights; spend countless minutes reading and cuddling together.  My favorite part of this season is that the girls were most excited for Jesus's birthday and celebrating by being able to put him in the nativity on Christmas Eve...we are so blessed to have such wonderful children.

It's easy to get swept away in consuming during the holidays, but this year we pulled back and gathered together as a family instead.  These memories are worth so much more than any gift we could buy.  What's even better is that we saw the kids grow closer and enjoy family time even more.

We have a video monitor that is a godsend and has helped us oh-so-much in knowing when we need to go in to William..now!  It also comes in handy when you want to "spy" on your sweet darlings on Christmas morning and delight in their delight of realizing the day had.finally.come!  Little Bella was the first to wake and, as she sat up in bed, we could hear her tiny whisper..."it's good morning time.  Is it good morning time?  Norah, wake up; (Norah sat up in bed, looked at Bella, and laid down again ;))I think it's good morning time!"  She ran to the window to open the blinds and much to her happiness she saw the sunshine..."Norah, it's time!!  It's good morning time and it's CHRISTMAS!!!"  Both Norah and Bella ran out of their room - the sound of their little pitter patter literally will stay with me forever - and looked in the family room.  "He came! He came! It's Christmas!"  Together, they rushed to our room and told us with so much excitement that "Santa came, Mama and Daddy; he really really came!" (Said Norah - oh, melt my heart; I'm so happy she still believes!) "Mama and Daddy, get up, it's Christmas, it is really Christmas!" (Said sweet Bella) 

William was gradually waking at this time, so we helped spur the waking along and got him up too while Bella and Norah ran downstairs to wake up my parents (who lovingly stayed with us for the start of their trip and celebrated Christmas morning with us).  I love that our children SO love their grandparents.  I love that our children have 4 wonderful, loving grandparents! (Thank you Mimi, Papa, Grandpa, and Grandma)

Christmas morning was wonderful, the children loved everything Santa brought and loved helping each other open gifts.  They were so excited that it was finally Jesus's birthday; which makes me oh-so-happy. 

Being a stay-at-home/work-part-time-from-home mom has taught me so many things.  I have learned patience I didn't know I possessed, I have learned to slow down and not rush the kids in getting out the door or leaving the library to fast, I have learned how to multitask like never before - and it's always been something I've done!.  I have also learned that it doesn't take much to make me happy.  I love our small, cozy home filled to the brim with reminders of our families, friends, and daily life.  I love that we are able to gather around the table at dinner every night and take time to eat slowly and enjoy the stories of our days.  I love that our children find eating out to be a treat rather than an every day experience.  I learned to slow down and soak up as many moments of every day as I can....time is slipping away too quickly and I don't want to miss a thing.  I am so blessed to have learned this lesson early on; the love we share and the time we spend together are more important than having a bigger home or going on lavish vacations.  We are surrounded by love and have extraordinary people in our lives - who could ask for more?

I will never forget these memories; our Christmas of 2012.

No comments: