Monday, April 8, 2013

The birthday season

Spring has come - finally, thankfully, it appears winter's long stay is over.  There is such a freshness that comes with the start of each season.  You feel renewed and ready to bask in the wonders of the new weather- for us this means spending longer days outside; getting dirty and hearing endless giggles and little voices bounce all around us.  I am happy Spring has arrived, I missed this.

This month is also the start of our little's birthdays.  William. turns. two.  How is this possible?I ask myself when each of the children reach a new age.  William is doing so well right now.  He has been minus a g-button for 5 weeks.  For the first time ever, he is in charge of his food and liquid intake and is a rock star.  Yes, he is little.  He is smaller than the girls were.  He is perfectly William.  It seems like yesterday he was fighting for life; a point made even more so by Bella who lately brings up how scared she was when he stopped breathing.  She talks a lot to me about hoping he doesn't stop breathing again because she doesn't want us to have to be in the hospital again.  The road has been rocky, but it has been a road laid out for us by God.  He held all of us and now that we are over the first mountain (I am sure this is a mountain range with others in the distance), we can see the sun. 

I feel retrospective during the birthday months of our children.  I remember feeling them kick and push against me in those last few weeks.  The overwhelming excitement of knowing we would have our baby to hold in our arms in a short time.  The fear and nervousness of the unknown.  My heart bursting with even more love than I ever knew possible seeing each baby for the first time.  The beautiful music of their first cry, all their giggles, their stomach-deep-throaty laughs. the thumping of baby legs crawling through the house, the pitter patter of itty bitty feet that fit in the palm of my hand.  The late night calls and the pushing me out of my bed during restless sleep.  The family bed on weekend mornings where it holds more love than humanly possible.  It is all going so fast.  I am thankful for the wisdom of others who told me in the early days of my pregnancy with Norah to take deep breaths and remember each moment.  How did I get so lucky to be a mom to three?  I know this is where I belong and am happier than ever.

My baby...our baby baby is turning two.  Incredible and amazing.

No comments: