We've had an interesting couple of weeks. Last week, William had two episodes where he stopped breathing. The first was on Tuesday night after his 6:00 pm feeding and he spit up and started to turn blue. We sat him up straight and he turned pink again and was okay. On Wednesday morning, during his 9:00 am feeding (51 ml - I'll always remember that number) he spit up and turned blue. I always thought when people said someone turned blue, it was a figure of speech - but it's not. There isn't an in-between color - it's blue as blue can be. I sat him up like we did the night before, I turned him over on his stomach against my forearm and hit him on the back to try to force anything out, and nothing happened. I told the girls to go to their room, ran to hit the fire button on the alarm pad, and opened the front door. I laid William on the floor and tried to stimulate him, nothing happened so I blew one rescue breath and nothing happened, I blew another one and he coughed and sputtered and started to breathe - Thank God.
By this time, there were all sorts of alarms going off - the house alarm, the apnea monitor, and the feeding pump. It took me a minute to realize all of them and to turn them off. The firemen came and the EMT checked William's lungs and said they were clear. They offered to take us in the ambulance, but since he was pink and breathing, I declined. I called the ENT's office since they told us to call if William stopped breathing and, after scaring the nurses, I was told to take him to the ER.
Brian met me there with William and the girls (who were amazing this whole time and did such a great job of listening. I am so proud of them!) and Brian's parents came to take the girls so they wouldn't have to stay at the hospital since we didn't know how long we would be there. It turned out, the doctor's wanted to keep William there overnight for observation.
On Thursday, we were able to take William home as he didn't have anymore episodes. They aren't sure what happened, which makes it hard to know how to prevent it from happening in the future.
Thankfully, he has had a good week since then and hasn't had any problems. While in the hospital, they put him back on formula, which has upset his stomach again. It's a new formula and seems to be better than the previous one, but it still causes him discomfort.
It amazes me how happy he is though! He is gradually getting to be awake more and more during the day and spends that time cooing and working on smiling (almost there I hope!!) at us. He especially loves looking at his big sisters, who in turn, love being around him and want to hold, kiss, and touch him as much as possible!
Norah and Isabella are doing great. They are loving summer in ways only kids can do - just the simple joy of playing with a water hose or swimming in the kiddie pool - makes them so happy! So far, the weather has been nice enough that we've gotten to spend at least some of the day outside at the park or in the backyard. This weekend is going to be hot but hopefully it will cool off a little next week and we can get back outside!
I hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th of July weekend!
Love,
Em
One of my favorite pictures of our sweet baby - here is his beautiful smile!
Big girl Norah - climbed the rock wall all by herself!
Norah, Isabella, and William celebrating Canada Day!
Bella playing at Kirkwood park in the sprinkler - we used to play as kids too - and both Norah and Isabella LOVED this!! We now call Kirkwood park the Sprinkler Park :)
Norah and Isabella playing with the pink (we also have purple) sand Mimi and Papa sent
We have such happy children!
Cute as a button
Norah and Isabella playing in the kiddie pool at Grandma and Grandpa's
Bella on the swing at Kirkwood
By this time, there were all sorts of alarms going off - the house alarm, the apnea monitor, and the feeding pump. It took me a minute to realize all of them and to turn them off. The firemen came and the EMT checked William's lungs and said they were clear. They offered to take us in the ambulance, but since he was pink and breathing, I declined. I called the ENT's office since they told us to call if William stopped breathing and, after scaring the nurses, I was told to take him to the ER.
Brian met me there with William and the girls (who were amazing this whole time and did such a great job of listening. I am so proud of them!) and Brian's parents came to take the girls so they wouldn't have to stay at the hospital since we didn't know how long we would be there. It turned out, the doctor's wanted to keep William there overnight for observation.
On Thursday, we were able to take William home as he didn't have anymore episodes. They aren't sure what happened, which makes it hard to know how to prevent it from happening in the future.
Thankfully, he has had a good week since then and hasn't had any problems. While in the hospital, they put him back on formula, which has upset his stomach again. It's a new formula and seems to be better than the previous one, but it still causes him discomfort.
It amazes me how happy he is though! He is gradually getting to be awake more and more during the day and spends that time cooing and working on smiling (almost there I hope!!) at us. He especially loves looking at his big sisters, who in turn, love being around him and want to hold, kiss, and touch him as much as possible!
Norah and Isabella are doing great. They are loving summer in ways only kids can do - just the simple joy of playing with a water hose or swimming in the kiddie pool - makes them so happy! So far, the weather has been nice enough that we've gotten to spend at least some of the day outside at the park or in the backyard. This weekend is going to be hot but hopefully it will cool off a little next week and we can get back outside!
I hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th of July weekend!
Love,
Em
One of my favorite pictures of our sweet baby - here is his beautiful smile!
Big girl Norah - climbed the rock wall all by herself!
Norah, Isabella, and William celebrating Canada Day!
Bella playing at Kirkwood park in the sprinkler - we used to play as kids too - and both Norah and Isabella LOVED this!! We now call Kirkwood park the Sprinkler Park :)
Norah and Isabella playing with the pink (we also have purple) sand Mimi and Papa sent
We have such happy children!
Cute as a button
Norah and Isabella playing in the kiddie pool at Grandma and Grandpa's
Bella on the swing at Kirkwood
No comments:
Post a Comment